As part of the process of spinning out of Gnosis and launching a DAO, Safe will distribute a number of SAFE to reward past users. 50M SAFE are allocated for past users, which is 5% of the total supply of the token. On August 17, 2022, we posted a proposal on how to allocate these tokens to the Safe forum, in order to gather community feedback.
Lots of feedback has been received directly on the forum as well as on Twitter and Discord. While it is impossible to create the perfect SAFE distribution rules, this post is an iteration and improved version of the initial proposal.
As a reminder, the following goals have been set:
- Decentralization: SAFE governance would benefit most if the token is widely distributed.
- Reward usage: More active users should receive more tokens than less active ones
- Reward past usage but prefer potential future active governance participants, i.e. accounts that care about the Safe.
- Raise awareness for the Safe as a project and DAO
- Recipients should get a “meaningful” amount, i.e. users should care about it and tx fees for claiming shouldn’t make it economically unwise to claim SAFE tokens allocated to them.
- Ownership: Long term, we envision the Safe as a community-driven project. It is empowering to own a part of the product they use.
The following is a summary of the modifications made:
The original proposal excluded all Safes created after GIP-29. This excluded ~50% of all Safes created on Ethereum mainnet since more than 40k Safes have been created within the last 6 months. The Safe community should be as wide as possible, hence the change to the date the initial proposal was made on the forum which was August 18, 2022.
The original proposal only considered ETH and WETH stored in Safes which excluded all other tokens, including stable coins. This decision was made to keep things simple. Stable coins however are crucial for Defi. Many community members store significant amounts in stable coins, hence we additionally consider now the value stored in DAI (incl. SAI), USDC and USDT which are the top 3 stable coins stored in Safes by their total value.
What about other derivatives such as cDAI, aDAI or stETH? We have to draw the line somewhere. We see the vanilla stable coins as basic enough to include them, however when it comes to other wrapped/derived versions of them, we encourage the respective teams to submit DAO proposals to reward past usage and value accordingly.
Some Safes are used to store value, others are used to regularly transact. We would like to support any use case and should not be opinionated on what is the better use case. Hence switching to 50:50 feels more fitting.
One of the criteria in the original proposal was to include Safes that made at least 3 transactions. This was a rather arbitrary restriction and was removed. The number of tokens allocated will just consider the number of transactions made, relatively.
In the original proposal, Safes that stored 1 ETH over time were included. This restriction was removed since it again sets an arbitrary restriction. Instead, the number of tokens allocated will just consider the value stored over time, relatively.
Since the restrictions on number of transactions made and value stored were lifted, the number of tokens that each Safe receives is reduced in order to ensure a fair distribution to actual users.
For the time being we will abstain from including Safe users on other EVM chains from the initial allocation but would encourage community proposals for a retroactive allocation focused on each EVM ecosystem that Safe has been deployed to. One reason we have decided to limit the SAFE allocation to only Ethereum mainnet is due to technical complexity, another one is the fact that mainnet was by far the most important chain for the Safe and key to its popularity and trust.
- All Safes created before Aug 18, 2022, when the original post was made.
- Consider all official master copies (singletons) on Ethereum mainnet
- Fetched via Dune
- For each Safe, calculate how much ETH was spent on transactions.
- Include “regular” txs as well as module txs
- Fetched via Dune (Query 1, 2, 3)
- Fetch the asset balance at the end of each day.
- Multiply USD value with the number of days it was stored in a Safe
- Assets to consider
- 50M SAFE to allocate.
- Allocate 50% based on ETH spent on txs
- Allocate 50% based on USD value of assets stored over time
- Apply smoothing functions
- ETH spent on txs: x^(½)
- Value stored over time: x^(⅓)
- Each eligible Safe should receive at least 100 SAFE
- Calculated via script.
This includes all Safes that were created before August 18, 2022 and that made EITHER at least 1 transaction OR stored at least a fraction of ETH, WETH, USDC, DAI (incl. SAI) or USDT.
The resulting allocations can be found here:
- Safes created before August 18, 2022: 88,769
- Safes with allocated SAFE: 55,719
- 33,050 Safes never made a single transactions AND never stored any ETH, WETH, DAI (SAI), USDC and USDT
- Maximum number of tokens allocated to a Safe: 66,248
- Minimum number of tokens allocated to a Safe: 100
- Average number of tokens allocated to a Safe: 897
- Median number of tokens allocated to a Safe: 381
- Gini coefficient: 0.59