[Sep 28] OBRA Budget Amendments Season 2, Sprint 4

Title:

[Draft] OBRA Budget Amendments Season 2, Sprint 4

Authors:

Andre Geest (Safe, @Andre), Amy (Safe, @amy.sg)

Created:

2014-05-20

Abstract

This proposal suggests the following for the OBRA budget in Season 3:

With a little over half a million USDC, there is ample OBRA budget in left for Season 3, therefore no new budget should be proposed in this sprint. Instead, the remaining OBRA budget from the end of Season 2 should be redistributed into strategies with low or no budget. This proposal suggests three options for Season 3 OBRA budget.

Proposal types

State which proposal type this proposal belongs to.

SEP: Constitutional Proposals

SEP: Governance Proposals

SEP: Resource Allocation Budget

Proposal details

Purpose and Background

Background

In the current OBRA framework, unspent budget from previous seasons are carried over to the next season.

However, it does not define how the budget should be distributed. As of the end of Sprint 3 of Season 2, the following budget remains for each strategy (from live OBRA budget tracker):

The total unspent budget amounts to: [593.500 USDC]. This means that there is still significant budget left and ample budget remaining for Strategies 1, 3, and 4.

With this in mind, the options for proposed changes to OBRA Budget:

Option 1: Redistribute larger budgets to popular strategies that have less budget available. (See below table for the respective changes):

Option 2: Redistribute larger budgets to popular strategies with less budget available, but with more even distribution (reduces the previous weights of each strategy).

Option 3: No change / Don’t reallocate or propose a new budget.

Effects and Impact Analysis

Changes can introduce the following risks:

• Scenario 1: There could be teams interested in particular Strategies but have limited budget that will have to wait until the budget is refilled.

Alternative Solutions

There can be a number of potential configurations of budgets per strategy. However, we suggested a few calculations to narrow options.

We also considered mainly topping up the wildcard strategy back to 100k as the main mechanic in providing an overflow for other strategies, as well as initiatives that do not fall under a predetermined strategy. However, this is already a default and would void the point of a directed budget per strategy.

Implementation

Does the implementation of the proposal require new code? How is the security of the code ensured? How is the implementation of the proposal carried out?

Own implementation possible

Own implementation but with funding (how much % to implementation)

Request for technical support through Safe matter experts:

Open Questions

Anything that needs to be cleared up before the community can make an informed decision?

Copyright

Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.

6 Likes

We are in favor of this change. Thank you @amy.sg

2 Likes

Thanks @amy.sg and @Andre for putting together this proposal. Given there’s an ample surplus, I’m in favor of Option 2.

If funding remains as is, I think it’s unlikely that strategies with considerable funding will be exhausted during the next season. However, funding for the other strategies, especially the Wildcard Strategy, is much more likely to be depleted.

Reallocating funds across all strategies will be the most beneficial solution for the DAO and potential teams who will seek funding in Season 3.

3 Likes

I am a Safe Guardian with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

2 Likes

I am a Safe Guardian with sufficient voting power and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote.

Thanks for proposing - I’m hopeful SafeCon2 will drive more awareness and increase interest here.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input!

As a delegate with sufficient voting power we believe that this is ready to move to a vote!

2 Likes

As a delegate with sufficient voting power, I believe that this is ready to move to a vote.

1 Like

I am a Safe Guardian with sufficient voting power , and I believe this proposal is ready to move to a vote

1 Like

Voting is live on Snapshot.

1 Like

As of June 10th 2024, this proposal has been ratified.

1 Like