[SEP #5] Redistributing Unredeemed Tokens From User Airdrop Allocation

I agree that farmers shouldn’t be included, but it’s trivial to retain the same cutoff date and have additional criteria. The bottom line is that actual users of the service, regardless of which chain, should be included in governance.

I feel very sorry for this method. I think it can be given to users who are using safe, but many people created wallets before the snapshot just to get airdrops but did not use them normally.

+1 to this! Great point.

1 Like

It’s important to further decentralize the voting power given this opportunity.

@kdowlin’s concept is interesting because recent users of Safe (after the $SAFE claim announcement) likely had no expectation of earning any tokens because the cutoff period had already been defined. Using a portion of the unclaimed tokens at minimum, to distribute to users under the same or similar usage guidelines as the original distribution, seems like a meaningful and simple solution.

Here’re my thoughts on what to do with unredeemed tokens:

Regarding Daniel’s options of 1,2,3,4 -
I oppose 1 completely (for fear of governance power imbalance just because people didnt redeem a token)

I would much rather have another claim session opened up for users who didnt redeem it & broaden the pool of token holders within the SAFE community

I also like the idea of doing a broader airdrop to people who’ve participated in valuable governance based votes across values congruent communities like Gitcoin, DeSci communities etc

2 - I love the idea & feel we should open it up to broad DAO content creators & educators as well who can be capable leaders of the safeDAO ideals & developments

FTX was a byproduct of the crypto community, why? because for far too long, the industry fetishized developers & token related progress while neglecting the content creators, the community influencers… people who could spread the word about how to do things right in the crypto space forcing a lot of these people to turn into outright grifters or look the other way in the face of obvious scams

We finally have a chance to pummel self custodial solutions developed on Safe into the pleb collective mind as the paradigm shift necessary & for that to materialize, SAFE must invest in the right narratives, community education & content creation.

Also like @gokhan’s idea of a SAFE grant initiative for devs

1. It’s a token rightfully earned by the users & should be given out to the broad community, shouldnt be wasted earning 5% yield for the treasury considering the large war chest raised by the SAFE foundation

I would advocate opening up pathways to contribution for the community allowing them an opportunity to earn the SAFE token while it’s still non transferable… reason being at this point of time, you’re gonna get contributors who aint token mercenaries dumping on you by month end… contributors who believe in the SAFE mission so much that they are willing to work for the mission till SAFE develops the tokenomics & biz market fit required for the right launch & even more…the chances of contributors who get incentivized through SAFE now being long term are much higher now… so the community should take the lead on the pathways soon

Disclaimer: I’m a content creator in the DAO ops space

2 Likes

I suggest the following:

1. Extend the claim date by a few weeks to give everyone who didnt claim a second chance and make sure only dormant addresses are left out

2. Hand out the rest to the users who claimed their airdrop pro-rata

As much as I would like L2 Safes to be included in the airdrop it’s almost impossible to do it in a sybil resistant manner imo

8 Likes

Unclaimed tokens means , either eligible ones dont care about tokens or they forgot to claim.
I think one more last chance should be given to unclaimed addresses. If they fail to claim this time. The reward should be equally distributed to the addresses who already claimed tokens.

I think it could REALLY help to extend the deadline and allow more users to claim their airdrop allocation. First of all, since we are dealing with wallets, there is a coordination challenge inherent in multisig. Secondly, I NEVER heard about the airdrop until today, and only because I started searching for the date myself. I had asked on the forum back in September when the date was and then heard NOTHING about it. I’m not totally out to lunch I do my best to keep up with crypto and ethereum but this was not publicized very well imo.

1 Like

Yes I agree one more chance to claim is SUPER important. It wasn’t that I forgot to claim, it was that I never knew the claim had started OR that there was a deadline.

1 Like

Since apparently the date of redemption is hard-encoded and can’t be changed, I would strongly advocate for 3. Leave Tokens in the SafeDAO treasury, and then allow for people who missed the redemption to manually request their allocations.

If someone could show me where on this forum the airdrop was ever announced. I have been a member of the forum since August and this was my main channel to get news about SafeDAO, and I never saw any post about the airdrop starting (only discussions about how to execute the airdrop).

I have absolutely no voting power in SafeDAO as I have lost all my allocation because I didn’t redeem in time (which I think 3 months is very short period compared to other airdrops; think UNI, CRV, ENS, etc).

If you really have over HALF over tokens going unclaimed maybe that tells you something about the manner the airdrop was executed and announced. And if the problem now is that there is an unintended imbalance of voting power, then allowing people who missed the redemption to manually claim their allotment through treasury proposal (I had a large amount of tokens I was allotted) would be one way to ameliorate that situation.

1 Like

Thanks for starting the conversation. I like option 2 but should not overlap with the first airdrop. A mix of all 3 is also good.

Option 1 can use the same formula as the first airdrop but should probably remove the 400 base amount and be included it in the 4 year lockup. Option 2 would need more discussion on who/what to included (probably via nominations and voting).

I don’t recall the full token distribution chart but was any $SAFE allocated for liquidity bootstrapping? That might be an option as well if none is allocated.

I like the first suggestion

1 Like
  1. Extend the claim date by a few weeks to give everyone who didnt claim a second chance and make sure only dormant addresses are left out

I second this idea. Speaking on behalf of the 1inch DAO, we use Snapshot + Safesnap to do all transactions with our Gnosis Safe (the multi-sigs are only used for emergency situations). This means that all transactions made with our Safe take ~2 weeks to complete (from Snapshot creation to execution).

We had two separate proposals to claim out allocated SAFE tokens but both failed to meet quorum. It wasn’t due to the proposal being controversial, just a lack of overall voting power.

Since then, our recognized delegates have accumulated enough voting power to be able to ensure that we can easily hit quorum on proposals like this.

So, it wasn’t a lack of interest that prevented us from claiming the SAFE, but just the slowness of our governance process (we are working on optimizing this).

10 Likes

This is unfortunate. I did not know teams operate all on-chain transactions through Snapshot + Safesnap with multisig as an emergency option.

3 Likes

I third this. The window for claiming, especially considering that every SAFE claim had to be executed via multisig was a very short window, when compared to any other airdrop I have heard of.

3 Likes

Unclaimed tokens, at least in my case don’t mean either that I didn’t care, or that I forgot to claim. I literally didn’t know the airdrop had even begun until a few days ago I checked and to my utter dismay saw that it had already ended! I knew of the airdrop back in August/September but at that time no official date had been announced and after that time I never heard anything else. I’m not sure how it was announced or how eligible SAFEs were supposed to learn of the airdrop.

I’m sure there are others in the same boat as me who care about claiming and would like to participate in governance but are now unable too. I was actually VERY interested in claiming because I checked one of the preliminary spreadsheets and saw that I was due for a claim of 8000 SAFE, but I never received any notice of the airdrop happening or saw anything about it on Twitter, or in Gnosis discord. It’s hard to stay on top of every thing that’s happening. I think the claim period was far too short and people who want to participate have been left out.

1 Like

Basically, if we didn’t follow SAFE DAO on Twitter was there any other way to get the announcement of the airdrop ? I had notifications turned on for this forum and never saw a post that the airdrop date had been announced. I asked about it in the forum on Sept 22 and response was “date has not been announced”, then it looks like the date for claiming started on September 28th? I feeling like I’m just spamming this thread but it’s super disheartening to not have the ability to claim.

And the craziest part is I follow @safe on Twitter and was never shown the post in my feed!

2 Likes

Maybe we can consider using this part of token to attract more users to use the safe, to deposite more money into safe

You posted 6 different messages here, there is an edit button you know… Do you try to convince people with repetition ?

2 Likes

I would hope the content of what I’m writing is more salient than the form it comes in. Maybe you could at least also respond to the content instead of purely being negative ?

1 Like